Tommy celebrated his 2nd birthday last week! While he is my 3rd child, he’s our first little boy. So now that he’s into playing with toys we’re noticing he likes a lot of very different toys than his sisters did when they were toddlers. My living room has been covered in toys for years, but for the first time it’s covered in trucks and trains. Tommy got so many awesome gifts for his birthday and has been really busy playing (hallelujah!). I wanted to share 10 toys that he really likes right now, both new gifts and things he’s been playing with the past few months. Hopefully this helps with birthdays gifts, toys to entertain your toddler this winter and gift ideas for the holidays.
1. Famous OTO Ice Cream Truck: This is hands down one of the coolest toys we’ve ever had. It comes in a flat box and you easily pop the cardboard tabs into place to form this ice cream truck. I am awful at putting together kids’ toys and it was easy for me. It also easily comes apart to store. Tommy loves this truck and it’s big enough that his big sisters can fit inside to play too. It’s adorable, well made and lends to tons of creative play. Yesterday Tommy & Alex were serving “sand ice cream with rock sprinkles” out the ice cream truck window. Our readers get 10% off with code CHIRPINGMOMS.
2. Wooden Toys Early Bird Barista Set: Maybe I drink too much coffee because my kids knew exactly how to play “barista” when they first got this set. They ask me “how I take my coffee” and love that the cups looks like the ones I get at the coffee shop. This is such a cute, well made toy.
3. Richard Scarry Books: We love these books! My girls enjoyed them when they were 2 and now Tommy carries his “Cars and Trucks and Things That Go” book everywhere. They are fun to look at and if you need to keep a toddler busy, ask them to find things on the pages (think Where’s Waldo style).
4. Land of Nod Teepee: We got this for our 5 year old for her birthday but Tommy loves playing in it. It can easily fold up but I find we have it open all the time. Tommy brings his trucks into the teepee to play.
5. Bob the Builder Super Scoop: The is our first remote control truck. It’s cute, talks and does cool tricks! The remote is easy for little hands to use and it’s fun to see it go both forward and backwards.
6. Melissa & Doug Grill & Serve BBQ Set : We love Melissa & Doug toys and this grill set is really cute. It comes with grill tools and you can “cut” the wood/velcro food. Tommy’s favorite: the ribs.
7. Melissa & Doug Magnetic Car Loader: Another great toy by Melissa & Doug! Tommy loves playing with toy cars and this one keeps him busy longer than most. The little magnet picks up the cars and you can move them to the ground.
8. Kidtrax CAT Bulldozer : This is the first ride-on we’ve ever owned and Tommy is having a blast. Now his big sisters want one of their own! This version is great for little ones as it’s 6V and doesn’t go TOO fast. Tommy is pretty short for his age and has no trouble reaching the pedal and cruising around.
9. Shark Bite Ship: This is our first Imaginex toy and it’s really neat. It’s also a toy that all of my kids enjoy playing with, both on their own and as a group (they are ages 2-7). They all love firing the cannon!
10. Playground Ball : We have one from The Land of Nod that’s latest forever, but you can find a playground ball anywhere from the supermarket to Amazon. It’s an inexpensive toy that’s classic and fun.
Please note that some of the toys say 3+. Please use your discretion based on your child and supervise them with the toys.
Disclosure: We were not compensated for this post. A few of the toys on the list were sent for the purpose of review. As always, all opinions are my own.