Maggie and Alex are getting so excited to head to school this year. It’s the first year Maggie wants to pick things out for herself and her little sister is following suit. They both picked out their own backpack and lunch box. Another new thing for this school year: they both love accessories. I never thought preschoolers “accessorize” (i’m sure most don’t), but my girls love lining up all the shoes, headbands, necklaces, etc for school and are already talking about “trading” with each other. Today we’re sharing some of our favorite school styles, from hair accessories to shoes. We have some great coupon codes to share, so be sure to check out the full list at the end of the post.
Starting at the middle of last year, Maggie started getting very particular with what she wore to school. I don’t mind them picking out their own outfits, but wearing a tank dress up gown with no pants and flip flops when it’s snowing out, is just not ok. Alex typically doesn’t care what she wears, but has started to take big sister’s lead. Here’s a few tips that worked for us, that I plan to implement again with the start of this school year:
Tips for Making Mornings Easier:
1. Get outfits ready the night before
2. Give the child just 2 choices. Then they still feel like they are choosing their outfit but you don’t end up going through 30 different items, including the summer or costume drawer.
3. Bring the clothes, shoes accessories into a “neutral” area. Again, then they are not tempted to rip through all the drawers every morning. I bring the girls 2 choices into the family room. Then they pick what they want and get ready.
4. Let them know that as soon as they get home they can change into whatever they want. Nicole, from Momtrends, gave me that idea when I was struggling with Maggie last year. Maggie liked this idea, and as soon as she walked in the door after school, she’d take her “winter outfit” off so fast, it looked like she thought her clothes were on fire! But, at least she’d wear a sweater and leggings to school with her dress when it was 20 degrees out.
5. Have a bin of school shoes right by the door so they can get them on themselves before leaving and put them back when they get home.
6. Another way I give the girls more freedom with getting ready for school is letting them pick out accessories after they are dressed. They don’t mind getting dressed when they know they can get their own headbands, necklaces, etc on after.
Now onto our favorite back to school styles!
Here’s a list of some of our tops picks for this school year:
Arrow Skirt: Etsy shop Vivie & Ash (chirping10 for 10% off)
Cat Headband & Turquoise Sweater Dress: Gymboree (HOORAY for 20%, details below)
Dog Dress: Mini Boden (CHRP for 15% off + free shipping)
All other accessories shown: Peppercorn Kids
Headband // Bow Necklace // Pompom Headband// Crown Sweater Headband // Doll Necklace
Sign: Fly on the Wall Ink
Backpack & Lunchbox: Skip Hop Zoo Pack and a Zoo Lunchie
Fox Hat & Flower Blouse: Mini Boden (CHRP for 15% off + free shipping)
Colorful long sleeve tee: Hanna Andersson
All Accessories: Adelaide New York
Stay tuned for more info on Adelaide + a fun giveaway!
Recap of Coupon Codes:
Boden: Use code CHRP for 15% off + free shipping
Vivie & Ash: Use code chirping10 for 10% off
Fly on the Wall Ink: Use code BACK2SCHOOL for $5.00 off a $30.00 purchase
Gymboree: Use code HOORAY for 20% off orders over $100 + free shipping over $75