Not only are we eager for a new school year, but we are also looking forward to a new season of fall sports! With all the different sports & activities for the kids, I needed a super easy way to keep their sports gear together and organized so we aren’t rushing around the house five minutes before we leave the house looking for soccer socks/shinguards or tennis rackets. To help my kids (& myself) be organized, I decided to create a super easy DIY drawstring bag that will hold all their sports gear. When it’s time for practice, just grab the bag and go. When we get home, I can wash them & just place them back in the bag. No looking for lost socks or a pair of cleats! Below, I am going to share a super easy tutorial for the DIY Drawstring Sports Bag:
DIY Drawstring Sports Bag
- 2 pieces of 18 x 20 fabric
- Sewing Machine
- Seam Ripper (in case you make any mistakes like I often do!)
- Iron & Ironing Board
- Approximately 2 pieces of 50 inches of Cording
- Safety Pin
1. To start, you are going to make French seams so the seams are secure & won’t unravel when you wash it. Place the wrong sides together.
5. Turn right side in & iron.
6. Fold the fabric at the top about 1/2 inch & iron it down. Fold it over again about another inch & iron it down again. Stitch along the bottom of the fold. This will create the space for the drawstring to be threaded in.
7. Now it’s time to thread with your two pieces of cording. Starting on the left side, thread all the way through (Use a safety pin hooked to the thread will make it easier!). Once you have made it all the way through, loop around & thread back. It will leave a loop on the right side. Repeat this process, but starting on the right side. Once completed, it will look like the picture below.
8. Once you are done, pull the unlooped pieces of cording down & through the small holes at the bottom of the bag. Use the safety pin to help thread the cording through the holes.
9. Tie the cording together in a knot on the inside of the bag. Repeat on the other side. The bag is complete, but I would recommend a small stitch at each hole, over the cording, to hold it into place & to make it more durable.
Now that the bag is made, it’s time to fill it up! Here are just simple ideas on what to keep in the bag to make getting out of the house for sports just a little easier:
- Throw in an empty water bottle that you know will be needed to fill (or even throw in one plastic water bottle just in case you forget a regular water bottle so you are never without water!)
- A small snack. If there’s one thing I know my kids need right before they start practice, it’s a healthy but energy providing snack! Keep it ready to go in the bag & you won’t have to worry about digging through the pantry before you run out of the house.
- Sports Attire (Depending on Activity): For my boys, just a t-shirt & soccer shorts should work for most of their activities. If they are packed in the bag, then you will never have to worry about changing clothes if you are out doing something else!
- Sports Gear (Depending on Activity): This could be a tennis racket, soccer gear, goggles, or any other gear you may need.
- Sneakers or Sports Shoes. Read below for more details about our new Back to School sneakers!
Last year, Aiden’s first pair of real sneakers came from New Balance. He loved his bright blue sneakers & they were the perfect shoe for sports, park outings, & more. Now that his old shoes are worn through & outgrown, it was time for a new pair of sneakers just in time for back to school. He was excited for another fun pair of New Balance sneakers, especially because he JUST learned how to tie his shoes all on his own. He has been wearing his favorite new shoes all over town!
Courtney’s girls are also excited to run & play with some fun new sneakers from New Balance. We love New Balance sneakers, both for adults and kids. The kids’ sneakers from New Balance are the same high quality is the adult version. All the kids’ sneakers shown are the New Balance Vazee Rush sneakers. These comfortable & sleek shoes are perfect for our little speed racers!