We moved into our house over six months ago & many rooms are still look just like the day that we moved in. So I have decided it’s time to get to work. One room at a time, I am going to turn this house into a home. The past few weeks, I have focused my efforts on the playroom. I figured I better get started here before my kids outgrow this room 🙂 I’m looking to add some fun personality to the playroom by adding color, personal touches, & making sure it stays organized as well. Below, I am sharing some of my favorite idesa & finds for the playroom and stay tuned for project playroom to be completed.
PLAYROOM MUST-HAVES & INSPIRATION
1. Good Organization: A playroom needs some good organization. I headed to Ikea, my favorite place to find storage shelves, & picked up a few favorite pieces. One must-have storage item would be the Trofast system. This shelf has built in drawers which is great for holding Legos, Little People, action figures, & other small pieces put together. I also wanted a more open shelving system so I went with the Ikea Valje bookshelf to hold our bigger toys such as trucks, Imaginext sets, & more. I also think you need some fun baskets to store dolls, big trucks, & more.
2. Reading Nook: Santa brought the kids a Land of Nod teepee this year & not only is it a great place to play, but it also makes a pretty awesome place to read. The kids love grabbing books and reading in the tent. It also makes the room more fun & whimsical with it’s black and white pattern! To make our reading nook more comfortable, I just purchased a few pillows & pillow covers from Amazon for an awesome price! Throw in a few books & stuffed animals and the kids have the perfect little reading nook.
3. Book Storage: We love books in our house. As a former teacher, I have to say that you can never have too many books 🙂 I really wanted a fun way to display the books so my husband created rain gutter bookcases on one of the walls. It’s a great way to hold a lot of books & was an easy DIY project!
4. Fun Wall Decor & Lots of Color: I want my playroom to have color so I am looking for some fun ways to bring a little more color into the room. I have decided to create a fun gallery wall on one wall with some favorite prints that I have found, while creating DIY vinyl decals for the other wall. You could also add some garland, a colorful table and chairs set, & a fun bright printed rug! Pictures to be coming, but I am having a lot of fun trying to add my own touch to this room.
5. Open Space: Make sure to leave as much room as you can on the floor so the kids can play! The boys & I did a big purge several weeks ago to just get rid of things that aren’t played with. Much of what we are getting rid of, we can give to friends or donate. It’s a great feeling to just have more space to play!
The main purpose of our playroom is to create a playful & engaging room for the kids. I wanted lots of color, lots of organization, & a few fun elements that keep our playroom bright and happy. Now, I am excited to put all my ideas into action and actually create a super playroom for our home!