By Jordan of Jordan & Co
So, to be completely honest- I was nervous about putting together a Christmas book list this year. I thought I had gotten them ALL last year. I thought: there is surely NO way I can find that many awesome Christmas books again…but I was SO wrong. I know I said the same thing last month with my Thanksgiving Picks, but I have to say it again– I’m pretty sure my Christmas picks for this year are some of my favorite finds yet! I hope you take the time to click the links, read the summaries and find a few new books to add to your collection this year. I am SO excited to share these with you…and to start reading them with my kiddos!
2018 Christmas Book List for Kids:
- Last Stop on the Reindeer Express NEW & NOTEWORTHY! I’m in love with this one!
- Once Upon a Snowstorm A gorgeous picture book narrative (no text, only illustrations- I love books like this for little ones who don’t read yet and like to narrate the story themselves!)
- Plum: How the Sugar Plum Fairy Got her Wings NEW & NOTEWORTHY! by Sean Hayes!
- The Broken Ornament When a little boy breaks his mother’s irreplaceable heirloom ornament, it almost ruins Christmas. With a little Christmas magic, the family comes together to realize maybe Christmas has been saved after all.
- Secret Santas and the Twelve Days of Christmas Giving A fun new tradition that teaches children how they can become members of the real-life, Secret Santa Team!
- Red & LuLu The story of two birds who live in a beautiful evergreen tree. One year, the unthinkable happens and they they get separated. This is the story of the Christmas miracle that reunites them.
- Christmas Farm “A lyrical, behind-the-scenes look at the intricate lives of Christmas trees” told through the story of Wilma and her five-year-old neighbor, who decide to convert Wilma’s garden into a Christmas tree farm!
- Room for a Little One (also available in a board book!) Beautiful story about the birth of Jesus.
- A World of Cookies for Santa See what boys and girls around the world leave out for Santa on Christmas Eve!
- Walk this World at Christmastime “Illustrates the ways people around the world celebrate Christmas”, also includes lift-the-flap pages to be used as an Advent calendar!
- The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree A beautiful story (Think Little House on the Prairie in the Appalachians). This one is a bit lengthy, but it is illustrated by one of the classics (and one of my favorites) Barbara Cooney!
- Christmas Tapestry Patricia Polacco might be one of the very best story tellers of all times! Every one of her stories is based on her own family experiences.
- The Nutcracker and the Four Realms Based on the new movie!
- The Grinch: Who Likes Christmas? Based on the new movie!
- Dear Santa (The cutest lift-the-flaps board book!)
- The Wish Tree The story of a little boy who goes out in search of a Wish Tree, despite being told “there is no such thing” and finds, along his journey, that wishes can, in fact, come true in the most unexpected ways.
- The Lost Christmas A cute Christmas themed seek-and-find boo, from this popular “The Lost…” series.
- A Wish to be a Christmas Tree The sweet story of an overgrown evergreen tree (who always gets passed by at Christmas) and what his friends do to help him.
- Rudolph the Red Nosed Reindeer (the original story, written in verse by its creator)
- Miracle on 34th Street Got this one for the girls this year! Can’t wait to share it with them!
- Santa’s Favorite Story Santa’s retelling of the Story of the First Christmas
- A Charlie Brown Christmas Classic! We bought this last year after we went to see the play at out local children’s theater!
- Over the River and Through the Woods A gorgeously illustrated version of the classic song/poem we all know & love!!
- Mr Willowby’s Christmas Tree This became a new favorite of ours last year!
- Apple Tree Christmas This book was originally published over twenty years ago, and has been out of print since 1998!! It’s been re-released and it tells the story of a very special present and the love between father & daughter.
- Christmas Stories: A Little House Chapter Book I always like to include a chapter book each month. My girls LOVE reading a few chapters every night and their love for Little House runs deep!!
Don’t forget to check out my Original Christmas Book Picks from Last year!
Hanukkah book list for kids:
Share YOUR Monthly Book Nook!
Don’t forget, once you get your Christmas/Holiday “book nook” up and on display:
- post a picture to Instagram
- tag @jordan.and.co (so I get notified)
- tag #shareyourmonthlybooknook!
Then you’ll be put in the running to win a fun little January gifty, including one of my favorite January book picks AND a January garland from Pearl and Jane!